Art

Sgraffito, what’s that you ask??

25/7/13

Sgraffito is an old technique used by many artists throughout the ages to create fine details. By putting one color under another one and scraping through the upper layers, you can show just a speck of contrasting color.
Students used oil pastels to cover a sheet of paper and then selected either scissors or a pencil to scrape away the oil pastels. This is what they created. Enjoy!!

Drawing in Pastels

If you have some spare time at home you may like to try completing this activity….

HAYSTACKS BY CLAUDE MONET

In 1890 Claude Monet began painting a series of work which he titled ‘Haystacks’. He begun in the end of summer and continued through the following year (spring). Monet noticed this subject on a casual walk. He asked that his stepdaughter Blanche Hoschedé bring him two canvases. He believed that one canvas for overcast weather and one for sunny weather would be sufficient. However, he realized he could not demonstrate the several distinct impressions on one or two canvases. As a result, his willing helper was quickly carting as many canvases as a wheelbarrow could hold. His daily routine involved carting paints, easels, and many unfinished canvases and working on whichever canvas most closely resembled the scene of the moment as conditions changed all the time.

HOW TO CREATE A MONOCHROMATIC SCALE OF COLOUR

CLAUDE MONET

COLOUR MY WORLD

Frederick McCubbins

Click on the following links to research about Frederick McCubbins. How many facts can you find out about his life?

Artist’s Footsteps

Frederick McCubbins

Margaret Preston

Margaret Preston was born in Adelaide in 1875. She was an Australian painter and printmaker. She was inspired from many cultures and places around the world. Her art work ranged from bold, colourful still life paintings and prints to native and introduced Australian flowers, to urban impressions of the SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE and Sydney’s Mosman area.

What inspired Margaret Preston when she painted ‘Flying Over the Shoalhaven River’?

GREAT AUSTRALIAN PAINTERS

EVERY PAINTING TELLS A STORY??

Give me a Home Among the Gumtrees

Do you like ART?? Doink Animations allows you to create illustrations and add text to your drawings. I had a little play and this is what I drew after an hour of playing with all the features. It was so FUN.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time exploring this site. If you create an animation boys and girls, send me the embeddable code and I will add it to our blog!! Have fun:)

As you can see boys and girls, I too am learning how to use these great resources. I’m not all that happy with this animation as I should have added more than one page/drawing, but hey it’s a start!!

Another great site for the art enthusiasts is:

Odosketch